Ductless Air Conditioning Installation & Repair
What Is Ductless Air Conditioning?
Ductless air conditioning (often called ductless AC or mini-split AC) is a cooling system that doesn’t need ductwork. Instead, these systems have an outdoor compressor unit and one or more indoor air handling units.
Ductless air conditioning is an excellent option for homes and businesses that don’t have existing ductwork or for people who want to add cooling to a specific home or office area.
West Coast Chief installs, repairs, and services all brands and types of ductless air conditioning.
How Does Ductless Air Conditioning Work?
Like all air conditioners, ductless AC systems use refrigerant to cool air. The outdoor unit houses the compressor, which pumps the refrigerant through a network of tubing to the indoor units.
The indoor units are mounted on walls or ceilings, and they work to regulate air temperatures in the room(s). They have a fan to circulate the air, and some models also have heating capabilities.
Ductless AC vs. Through-the-Wall: What’s the Difference?
One common question we get is whether ductless air conditioning is the same as through-the-wall air conditioning. The answer is no — there are several key differences between these two types of AC systems.
Ductless AC has an outdoor compressor unit and one or more indoor air handling units. Through-the-wall AC has a single unit containing the compressor, fan, coils, and all other components.
Ductless AC is much quieter because the noisy compressor is outside, and depending on the number of handlers you install, it can cool several rooms and not a limited area.
Another big difference is that ductless AC can heat and cool your home with a built-in heater; through-the-wall AC can only provide cooling. You’ll need a separate heating system if you have through-the-wall AC.
Why Choose Ductless Air Conditioning? The Benefits
- Increased Efficiency: Ductless AC systems are up to 30% more efficient than traditional HVAC systems because there’s no energy lost through ductwork.
- Zone Cooling: You can control the temperature in specific areas by installing several indoor units. This way, you cool only the areas you’re using and not the spare bedroom you’ve converted into storage space.
- Flexible Installation: You don’t need ductwork for a ductless system. You can install it almost anywhere, including the garage (for your man cave).
- Improved Air Quality: Ductless AC systems circulate filtered air throughout the home or office, which can help improve indoor air quality. They don’t recirculate dust and allergens.
- Lower Maintenance Costs: Fewer moving parts than standard HVAC means less maintenance and lower repair costs.
- Reduced Noise: The outdoor compressor of a ductless AC system is far away from your TV set. And the air handlers have much smaller and quieter fans than HVAC with its powerful blowers.
Call us to learn more about the home and commercial ductless systems available.
West Coast Chief services all brands and types of ductless AC and can install a system perfect for your home or business.
What Are the Drawbacks of Ductless Air Conditioning?
Ductless air conditioning systems may be the greatest thing since sliced bread, but they’re not without their drawbacks.
- The initial cost of ductless AC can be higher than traditional HVAC systems because you’re buying and installing multiple units.
- Ductless AC systems require professional installation. You can’t install them yourself as you could with a window unit.
- If one of the indoor units goes out, the entire system may need replacement. With HVAC systems, you can replace a single broken unit without affecting other components.
Chief’s Ductless AC Installation Services: Steps Involved
If you’ve decided that ductless air conditioning is the right choice for your home or business, Chief can help. We offer complete installation services, and our certified AC technicians will walk you through the process from start to finish.
Here’s an overview of what you can expect:
Free Consultation: We’ll meet with you to discuss your needs and help you select the right ductless AC system for your home or business.
Professional Installation: Our team of certified AC technicians will install your ductless AC system quickly and efficiently.
Follow-Up Service: After installation, we’ll follow up with you to confirm that everything is working correctly and answer any questions about your new system.
Maintenance: We offer maintenance plans to keep your ductless AC in tiptop shape.
How Much Does Ductless AC Installation Cost?
The installation cost depends on several factors, including the size of your home or business, the type and brand of ductless AC system you select, the number of units you need, and the complexity of installation. It can range from roughly $5,000 to about $30,000.
Bear in mind that ductless AC replaces a complete HVAC system in most cases, which may cost even more (if you don’t have existing ductwork).
Call Chief for a free consultation to get an accurate estimate for your home or business.
How to Know Your Air Conditioner Needs Repair
Like any mechanical system, even durable ductless air conditioners can down. Here are a few signs that your ductless AC needs repair:
- The air conditioner is leaking water
- The air conditioner is making strange noises
- The air conditioner isn’t cooling evenly
- The air conditioner isn’t cooling as well as it used to
- You notice foul odors
Call us if you notice any of these things. A Chief AC technician will diagnose the problem and recommend the best course of action.
Repair or Replace? When a New System Is Cheaper Than Repair
Here are a few factors to help you decide whether to repair or replace your current AC system:
- The Age of the System: If your air conditioning is more than 10 years old, it’s probably time for a replacement.
- The Severity of the Problem: A minor problem like a clogged filter is easy to fix. But a significant issue like a failed compressor may require a new system.
- The Cost of Repair vs. Replacement: If the cost of repairs is close to the price of a new system, it makes more sense to start anew with a more efficient system that comes with an extended warranty.
When to Schedule Ductless AC Maintenance
Ductless air conditioners are low-maintenance, but they still need to be serviced yearly. We recommend scheduling maintenance in the spring before the cooling season begins. This will help prevent your system from failing when you need it most.
Our technicians will:
- Clean the filters
- Inspect the coils
- Inspect the compressor and drive belts
- Lubricate moving parts
- Test the refrigerant levels
- And more
Call us today to schedule AC maintenance for your home or business.
Why Chief for Your AC Installation & Repair?
- Chief specializes in appliances, HVAC, and air conditioning service and repair. We don’t do anything else.
- We’ve served metro Los Angeles and Orange County since 1995.
- We’re family-owned and operated.
- We offer same-day and next-day service.
- We hire only licensed and certified HVAC technicians for air conditioning work.
- We back up every job with some of the best guarantees and warranties in Los Angeles.
- Call us today to schedule ductless AC installation or repair for your home or business. We’ll get the job done quickly, efficiently, and at a fair price.