Commercial Freezer Repair & Installation
Freezer Breakdowns Spell Trouble for Business
When a home loses a freezer for a day or two, it’s inconvenient. The family gets by on packaged food, restaurant fare, and snacks.
But for a restaurant, hotel, or grocery store, freezer breakdown is an unmitigated disaster. A commercial freezer contains thousands of dollars worth of perishables. The business loses inventory due to spoilage and revenue from customers who can’t buy. It’s a double-whammy.
Commercial freezer repair is specialized, and commercial freezers aren’t always easy to access.
It’s critical to have the right appliance repair company at your service.
West Coast Chief Commercial Freezer Repair
West Coast Chief specializes in appliance repair. We fix all household and commercial appliances, including commercial freezers.
- We’ve served metro Los Angeles and Orange County since 1995.
- We hire only licensed and certified appliance technicians.
- We back every repair with a warranty.
- We stock parts in our warehouse and may be able to fix your freezer the day you call us.
- We’re known for our speed, and our pricing is always fair.
Does your restaurant, hotel, or store have an exotic freezer brand? It makes no difference! We service all commercial freezer brands and types.
The Difference Between Home & Commercial Freezers
Commercial and residential freezers operate according to the same principles and have the same essential parts:
- A compressor cools the freezer’s interior.
- A thermostat maintains the desired temperature.
- An evaporator coil absorbs heat from the interior.
- A condenser coil releases heat to the outside.
- One or more electric fans circulate air.
- An expansion valve regulates the amount of coolant flowing into the evaporator.
But that’s where the similarities end.
A commercial freezer is built to a higher standard than a home freezer and meets more strenuous demands, running continually.
A commercial freezer:
- Is larger and heavier than a home freezer.
- Has thicker insulation to keep food cold, even in a hot kitchen.
- May have several doors to minimize heat loss when the freezer opens.
- May have an automatic defrost cycle to prevent ice buildup.
- Is designed for heavy use, with more robust compressors, fans, and other components.
Types of Commercial Freezers We Service
Commercial freezers come in more varieties than apples in Vermont. These include:
- Solid-door freezers
- Glass-door & display freezers
- Worktop, under-counter, or glass-top
- Roll-in freezers
- Walk-in coolers and freezers
- Chest freezers
- Reach-in freezers
- Under-counter freezers
- Ice cream freezers
- Display freezers
- Prep tables
- Sushi cases
The commercial units you see in stores and restaurants are usually display freezers, chest freezers, or reach-in freezers. These all have glass doors so customers can see the merchandise.
Some commercial establishments, such as ice cream parlors, need specialized freezers. Ice cream must be stored at very low temperatures (-20°F/-29°C or colder) to prevent melting and loss of flavor.
We’ve serviced all commercial freezer types, and we can fix them all.
What to Do When Your Commercial Freezer Breaks Down
When you call us, please have your freezer’s make, model, and serial number ready. This information is usually on a sticker inside the doorjamb.
Our service desk will ask a few questions about the problem and schedule a service call at a time convenient for you.
Our technician will arrive fully-equipped to diagnose and repair your freezer (if we have the parts).
The most common commercial freezer problems are:
- Compressor failure
- Leaking coolant
- Loss of power (bad capacitor, blown fuse, bad switch)
- Frost buildup
- Door gasket failure
- Electrical issues
- Water leaks
- Dirty or clogged condenser coils
Frequent repairs we handle include:
- Compressor repair or replacement
- Evaporator fan motor repair or replacement
- Condenser fan motor repair or replacement
- Defrost timer repair or replacement
- Door gasket repair or replacement
- Door hinge repair or replacement
- Broken door handle repair or replacement
- Dirty condenser coils cleaning
- Frozen evaporator coils thawing and repair
- Wiring repair or replacement
Freezer Repair vs. Replacement
Most manufacturers of commercial walk-in freezers list their expected life at 15 years. That’s impressive, considering the heavy use they endure.
If your freezer is more than 10 years old and starting to break down often, it might be time for a new one.
Also, if the repair cost is more than half the cost of a new freezer, it’s probably time to start shopping.
Of course, you may not be ready to replace your freezer just yet. If that’s the case, we can keep it running for as long as possible with regular maintenance and prompt repairs.
Our Commercial Freezer Maintenance Plans
We offer commercial freezer maintenance plans designed to keep your freezer running efficiently and prevent minor problems from becoming major ones.
Our commercial freezer maintenance plans include:
- Cleaning the condenser coils (annually)
- Cleaning the evaporator coils (as needed)
- Checking and cleaning the door gaskets (as needed)
- Inspecting and tightening electrical connections (as needed)
- Lubricating moving parts (as needed)
- Checking and refilling the coolant (as needed)
- Testing the automatic defrost cycle (annually)
- Testing the door seal (annually)
Call us and we’ll develop a maintenance plan that fits your budget and business needs.
Commercial Freezer Installation & Replacement Services
We install and replace freezers for most businesses, including:
- Grocery stores
- Ice cream shops
- Convenience stores
Should your old freezer be replaced? We’ll help you make an informed decision, install a new freezer, if that’s what you decide, and haul your old freezer to the appliance recycling yard.
And of course, if your restaurant is changing address, or you’re setting up a new convenience store somewhere in greater Los Angeles or Orange County, you can count on us for all your appliance installation — not just freezers.
How You Can Help Your Commercial Freezer
Commercial equipment is exposed to more extreme conditions than home appliances, which lead a comparatively pampered life.
Heavy foot traffic, frequent food spillages, open doors, and a crushing workload all take their toll.
But you can make life easier for your commercial freezer, and restore its will to live. Simple, life-extending measures include:
- Cleaning door gaskets
- Replacing damaged gaskets
- Promptly clearing up spillages, especially liquids
- Ensuring the condenser is dust-free
- Monitoring frost build-up
- Ensuring adequate gaps for airflow
- around the freezer
- Keeping the interior clean and well organized
Deep cleaning commercial freezers is a job for professionals. It’s important to clean all surfaces, as well as hard-to-reach places like coils and fan blades, to prevent the build-up of bacteria, mold, and other harmful contaminants.
Our Freezer Repair Guarantee
- We honor all manufacturer warranties.
- We guarantee labor for appliance repairs for 3 months minimum.
- We warranty all replacement parts for 3 months minimum from the installation date. Some manufacturers offer extended warranties of 1 year or more.
- The standard manufacturer’s warranty for new appliances is up to 5 years, depending on the brand.
- We charge the same reasonable fee for work regardless of the time of day or the day of the week. There’s no surcharge for emergency repairs on holidays.
- We don’t assess a travel fee. Businesses in remote parts of LA and Orange County pay the same rate as businesses a block from our main store.
- If you contact us before noon, we may be able to fix your commercial freezer that very day.
- New customers are eligible for a 10% discount on labor. Woo-hoo!